Level Up Your Characters
Level Up Your Characters is designed to equip artists of any skill level with reliable tools that can be used any time, with any character, to make it better.
Whether you are creating a new character or reworking an old one, this class will walk you through five easy to understand (but hard to master) techniques for taking good designs and making them great. Don't want to learn all of them? That's okay, because each lesson stands alone so you can jump straight to what you want to work on!
What You'll learn
- Cliches: How can we break away from what people expect to create characters that are unique?
- Questions: How can we improve our characters before even touching pencil to paper?
- Exaggeration: What are the most important aspects of our character and how can we push them further?
- Proportions: What size relationships will best tell the story of our character?
- Dynamic Poses: How can we reinforce our character's concept just by changing it's pose?
Let's put what we learned to work! For your class assignment, take any existing character you've made—it could be a doodle from years ago or a sketch from this morning—and redraw it using any or all of the five techniques from the class.
Be sure to share your before and after, as well as any useful insight you learned along the way.
Sharing your work on Instagram? Tag me at @hkaube :)
About the teacher
Hayden Aube is a designer-turned-illustrator with an obsession for how we learn. Having made many big transitions in his life and career, Hayden now channels his time into helping other artists get where they want to be. This means tutorials, coaching and several community-based initiatives. To stay sharp, Hayden maintains a freelance illustration business, creates a variety of personal projects and is always enrolled in an online or in-person course himself.