Inking in Illustrator
In this 30 minute class, you'll learn how to easily create dynamic vector artwork in Adobe Illustrator. You won't be using the pen tool or basic shapes. Instead, you'll get familiar with the brush and blob tools, perfect for creating artwork that's not rigid or lifeless!
This class is for beginner or pro alike. Some basic understanding of Adobe Illustrator is highly recommended, although not completely necessary.
What You'll learn
- Creating custom brushes in Illustrator
- Using the brush and blob tools effectively
- Adding colour, light and shadow to your line work
In addition to this you'll learn an entire process for creating vector artwork from start to finish.
There’s no better time to start than now. For this project we’ll be drawing botanicals; flowers, petals or leaves. They’re great subject matter because they’re organic and natural—meaning that you don’t have to be able to draw a perfectly straight line. In fact, wobbly lines are even better!
- Get some line work exercise in by going through the Practice Sheet in the Resources section.
- Upload your drawing into Illustrator and get inking! There are drawings provided under Resources if you'd prefer to use one of them.
- Move through the different steps until completion. Stuck? Just refer back to the video lessons.
- You’re done! Save out your image in your desired format and share it through your social platforms. Be loud and be proud—after all your hard work, you deserve an applause!
Be sure to tag @meli_dn on all your Instagram shares :)
Melissa on Creative Market (Shop)
About the teacher
Melissa is a freelance Graphic Designer and Illustrator who has the pleasure of working from home in her comfy pyjamas. When not wrapped up in blankets, she can usually be found hopping between design studios and media agencies. She's been an artworker, illustrator, pitch designer, packaging designer and even powerpoint guru. Today she mostly works on her own illustrations and designs to put up for sale on Creative Market.